Read: Matthew 3:1-12
1) In due course John the Baptist appeared; he proclaimed this message in the desert of Judaea,
2) 'Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven is close at hand.'
3) This was the man spoken of by the prophet Isaiah when he said: A voice of one that cries in the desert, 'Prepare a way for the Lord, make his paths straight.'
4) This man John wore a garment made of camel-hair with a leather loin-cloth round his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey.
5) Then Jerusalem and all Judaea and the whole Jordan district made their way to him,
6) and as they were baptised by him in the river Jordan they confessed their sins.
7) But when he saw a number of Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism he said to them, 'Brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the coming retribution?
8) Produce fruit in keeping with repentance,
9) and do not presume to tell yourselves, "We have Abraham as our father," because, I tell you, God can raise children for Abraham from these stones.
10) Even now the axe is being laid to the root of the trees, so that any tree failing to produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown on the fire.
11) I baptise you in water for repentance, but the one who comes after me is more powerful than I, and I am not fit to carry his sandals; he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
12) His winnowing-fan is in his hand; he will clear his threshing-floor and gather his wheat into his barn; but the chaff he will burn in a fire that will never go out.'
13) Then Jesus appeared: he came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptised by John.
Prayer: We could never be worthy of you, Jesus, but through Baptism, you are now our brother, and we are sons and daughters of your Father. Your love is extravagant! You have more for us than we can ask or imagine.
Second Sunday of Advent - December 5
Read: Matthew 3:1-12
Tonight Marilyn gave her presentation for the Murdock Talks at the Museum of the Oregon Territory on Tumwater Drive in Oregon City (run by the…
Marilyn has been sick with a bug (flu?) since Wednesday. I mean really sick. I sat up with her all night (until 4:00) Wednesday night. (She on the…
I sat at my computer for hours today -- still the most painful thing I do, all this time later. (No, it hasn't been two years of chronic pain...…