CharlieMC (charliemc) wrote,

  • Mood:

Busy Day at Home...

Believe it or not (!!!), I had a busy day at home today. I spoke with Penny at the NW Gastroenterology Clinic twice about tomorrow -- the prep day for my Colonoscopy on Thursday. By the way, I'm actually having TWO tests -- the other one is an Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD for short). They refer to this as having a 'double' (both upper and lower). The actual testing is supposed to take approximately two and a half hours -- not counting the hour before for whatever (???) and the time after to make sure I'm fully awake and able to function well enough to go home.

I have to be there at 8:45 a.m. -- even though they don't start the test until 9:45 a.m. I probably won't sleep much (if at all) the night before, due to the laxative they've given me. Supposedly you're up all night -- the pharmacist warned me I'd be 'really tired' because I wouldn't get any sleep. Well, it's only one night, after all. Just like it's only one day (24 hours) on a liquid diet, so I'm sure I won't starve to death. From what Penny said people really complain about needing to be on a liquid diet, as if they'll just die from not having solid food. Seriously? I think it's probably more psychological than actually physical -- you know you CAN'T eat, so you feel deprived. So often I'll eat little or nothing in a day (no, I'm not kidding). So I don't think it's a big deal. Anyway, I think I need to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight and try to actually SLEEP. I've been having a hard time sleeping nights since the whole thing with my damn knee -- and I actually end up reading in the middle of the night quite frequently. (sigh) My main concern tomorrow is to STAY HYDRATED as much as possible (!!!). I know I'll be emptying out for hours and hours, and it's very easy to get dehydrated in the process. That's what happened to sister Sue when she had her colonoscopy! They had a terrible time finding a vein for her IV. And the issue with my knee (sigh) has really required me to stay as hydrated as possible the last few weeks. I feel like I've been really GOOD about it, but I don't know how this will go tomorrow...

I don't start the laxative liquid until 2:00 p.m. -- so I do have some time to get liquids in, assuming I'm not nauseous. I was really nauseous all morning long this morning, for whatever reason. That might be tied to the iron pill, but maybe not. I just don't know. I am having a terrible time getting my iron down -- and managing all my damn meds around taking the iron and vitamin C (sigh). I've decided to try taking them at night -- because of needing to take them on an empty stomach and then not eat for an hour after. First thing in the morning just isn't working! It messes up how I take all my other morning pills...

Okay, that's THREE (sigh) long (!!!) paragraphs on my health -- and I've got other stuff I want to blog today!

I stuck the oil, which is at 110 gallons right now. Frankly, I'm surprised it's that much, because I got a reading of just slightly more than 100 gallons when I stuck it on October 2 (more than a month ago!). Anyway, I do need to order oil soon -- and a new filter for the furnace, as well... (It was COLD OUTSIDE when I went out to do this, so I was quite proud of myself.)

Marilyn came home for lunch -- we had that delicious Harvest Orange Tomato Soup that Campbell's makes. We both really love it!

I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher (I'll try and do a load tonight). I also did some cleaning in my bathroom, knowing I'll be in there A LOT tomorrow (grin).

I had to deal with an issue about the new website for quite a long time today. I spoke to John at Fish and several tech guys at EasyStreet. And finally spoke with Rachel from Sales past five. Hopefully this will all be resolved tomorrow. I was pleased by how I handled it, but I should have gotten it done either the week before we went on vaca, or last week during vacation... (sigh) Anyway, many calls and hours later, I did get things figured out, I think. Tomorrow will tell us more!

I needed to COLOR MY HAIR (!!!), which was very bad at the roots. I keep trying to get to it all day long, but didn't manage it until late in the day. I was finishing up past 7:00, which is ridiculous, but things just kept pulling me away. At least it's finally done.

I also fixed dinner (after we watched "Jeopardy"), so I got a nice meal. Again, not that it matters that I can't really eat tomorrow. It's well worth it.

I'm looking forward to getting these tests done and having some results -- whatever they may be. I know there's a chance they won't find anything helpful, but there's a chance that they will. (I figure 50/50.) And there's a lot to be said for the peace of mind that can come from having tests done...

Oh! I almost forgot! I finally called and talked to our friend Shari today! I've been wanting to do it for ages -- and have felt guilty that I hadn't done it. But the last call I made to her was BAD -- and she was really out of it (like she'd had more strokes). I love Shari -- she's a very dear friend and means a lot to me. But I've had a lot of trouble recently dealing with my own issues (as selfish as that sounds, I know) -- and I just couldn't motivate myself to call her sooner. I need to share what's going on with her, but I'll save that for another time. I'm just glad we two talked -- and we even laughed while conversing. I told her I'd call her tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to chatting with her again...

I also worked on my email (both my home and work accounts) -- which is a lot more trouble than it sounds, believe me!

I also started the garbage and recycling -- at least a little. I want to try and make that easy on myself, when it needs to be finished up on Thursday after my procedures. (They figure you'll spend the afternoon resting -- probably SLEEPING after a night of no sleep. And as Marilyn pointed out, it can potentially be surgical, if they need to remove polyps, which is fairly common. Plus the two procedures are considered minimally invasive and do require anesthesia. So...) It's a 'not real' garbage week (I call it a 'real' garbage week on the every other week where we actually put the can with garbage down) -- so I just need to put the recycling down, put the garbage out in the can inside our garage and do the cat boxes (and stick that bag outside because of the odor). It's not nothing, but it shouldn't be too hard. I've done much of the recycling and some of the garbage already today.

I have books ready to read while I'm 'on the pot' (yes, yes -- totally TMI -- sorry!!!), so it should all be good. Praying I won't be nauseous during the day and will be able to force down all of the liquid -- it's four liters (!!!) which seems like a lot to me! And that I can manage somehow to hydrate beyond that fluid, because I think it's necessary...

Hopefully I'll be able to blog tomorrow. I might try and do it earlier in the day, as I don't know if I'll be able to sit at a computer tomorrow night.

DAMN IT!!! I never got the laundry done I'd planned to do today! I'd better get to that tomorrow!!!

Tags: books, busy, campbells-soup, colonoscopy, cooking, dehydration, dinner, dishes, easystreet, email, esophagogastroduodenoscopy, festival-website, food, garbage-and-recycling, hair, hydrate, laundry, liquid-diet, lunch, marilyn, nausea, northwest-gastroenterology-clinic, oil, penny-nwgc, preparations, reading, shari, soup, work

  • Reading! I Love It!

    A new favorite author — what a delight! Actually, coming BACK to reading after being away from it is sheer joy. I have spent my entire life reading…

  • Marilyn's Presentation -- the Murdock Talks

    Tonight Marilyn gave her presentation for the Murdock Talks at the Museum of the Oregon Territory on Tumwater Drive in Oregon City (run by the…

  • Marilyn is Sick

    Marilyn has been sick with a bug (flu?) since Wednesday. I mean really sick. I sat up with her all night (until 4:00) Wednesday night. (She on the…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.